Willie Made RollingStone’s “100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time” List

admin —  June 3, 2014 — 27 Comments

RollingStone.com put together the “100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time,” which included both new and old. Willie made the list at #48 with “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” from his 1975 album Red Headed Stranger. He also made #10 with his friend Waylon Jennings for “Mammas, Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys.” You can see the entire list @ RollingStone.com

Photo Credit Getty Images

27 responses to Willie Made RollingStone’s “100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time” List

1. Those are the two songs my dad used to sing to us kids at bedtime. Will always be favorites of mine!

2. Yeah but he wrote #2!

3. How could you not like Willie cool lay back and easy to listen too.

4. They didn’t credit you with Crazy? That’s plain ……. well it’s just not right

5. How many songs written by Willie were in the top 100?

Always on My Mind didn’t make the list? Song of the Year two years in a row and didn’t make the list…

6. Love you Willie forever and always♥ Saw you in the the 70’s Pasco High School. Now live in Selah Wa. Have seen your mothers old home in Gleed Wa.♥

7. Pamela Moeller Butler June 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Congratulations to Willie for his two performances in Rolling Stones and I’d like to note that two of the songs he wrote were also included: Patsy Clines version of Crazy and Faron Youngs version of Hello Walls.xo

8. Willie Nelson should have five songs in the Top Ten!

9. Monica Connors June 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

My first husband and father to our three children,Duane “Dick” Beckwith
    Has been a friend of Willie Nelson for many years,and,on that note; he has always been my hero and a true and honorable human being. The world would be a sad and lonely place without his music or his presence.

10. ♡♥One of my favorite singers!!!! ♥♡

11. Willie is the heart and soul Of Country Music! His music stir’s very emotion humanly possible! He will always be the brightest star in Country Music. May he continue to gift us with his amazing talent! May he always know
    how much we love and appreciate his gift. Congratulations on this honor to add to his many accomplishments !

12. I love every song that Willie wrote and/or sang! When I sang in a country band, I always sang Crazy, written by Willie. Have loved and followed him and his music since the early sixties!! Love him still!

13. one of my all time favorites

14. I love Willie and all of his songs. My mama always said he could stow his boots under her bed, anytime.

15. I love Willie Nelson

16. “Always on my mind”top 5 country songs of all time! Rolling Stones mag needs to stick with rock n’ roll.

17. Willie Nelson wrote “Crazy” – not Patsy Cline. She is famous for singing it, but Willie wrote it.

18. Some how I knew that would be thesong

19. Yaaaaay! And ahem……..of course he did!

20. On the Road Again!

21. Here’s to you Willie. Congratulations. You deserve it.
    Thank you!

22. Billy Wayne Stripling June 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM

congradulations Willie, we love you here in Shepherd, Texas !!!

23. I think there are a quite a few other Willie songs that should be on that list.

24. Dr Haze Green June 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

obviously he should have about 10 songs or more on the list. and I guess they are listing it by who’s version it is since he didnt write blue eyes nor dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys. I would call that best 100 country recordings instead of songs. there are quite a few songs that need to be taken off that list and replaced with songs by Mr Van Zandt, Shaver, Waylon, etc. To me, It is blasphemous to not have “If I needed you” on that list and have the likes of carrie underwood on it. also folsom prison blues at 51? might need to subtract about 50 or so from that…

25. Sonny Hutchinson July 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Willie Nelson’s talent has been a true gift from God to all of us. Thank you Willie for sharing it with us God bless!!

26. Whipporwill Caplinger July 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Willy just keeps writing better and better. This new album is one of his best. He is the best songwriter that I have ever knew. And as a person, he is a really good guy. He is a role model for everyone in the music business.
    Rock on Willy

27. Willie Nelson…..Always has been and always will be #1 in my world! Country Music would never had been the vibrant and living force it is today if he had not made that trip from Denver by car and wrote most of the songs from the Red Headed Stranger Album. My life has been lived with a back drop of Willie’s music, he will live forever as an Icon! I have attended many of his 4th of July Picnics in Fort Worth at Billie Bob’s and I always visit Luchenbach in His honor (and of course Waylon’s as well.). My greatest hope is to meet him in person….I am attending a concert tonight in Knoxville, Tennessee (Willie and Allison Krauss)…..He is the Greatest Country Performer of All Time!